Linux Kernel Network Subsystem Patching

Aruna Hewapathirane aruna.hewapathirane-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 23 19:02:10 UTC 2014

>Hmm, that is a rather low budget for anything decent x86 wise.
Lennart if I had the resources I would go purchase that IBM you were saying
compiled a kernel with make allyesconfig in under six seconds but am on
disability, I have a family far way across the world to support and put
food on the table and cover rent and pay utility bills and it goes on...
and on. So unless I win lotto6/49 or some good Samaritan decides to give me
his/her second hand system am stuck with this measly budget.

>Maybe something like Asus H81M-E for $65 and a Pentium G3220 for $68 or
>a G3420 for $75.  Those are 3.0 and 3.2GHZ and dual core.  That's really
>all you could get for that kind of budget.  So minimum seems to be
>$133+tax.  $125 is not possible.  Oh and you still need to buy ram.
>Also your powersupply might not have the right 12V connector for a new
>motherboard, and perhaps your harddisks are not SATA (nothing comes with
>IDE anymore).  Upgrading can be tricky, and often not worth it.

Oh dear... well one lives and learns I guess. Thank you for all the
valuable info, will rethink all this and decide.

> > Question: For reasons unknown am unable to get ccache to kick in. ccache
> is
> > installed oh-kay, Checks out oh-kay but does not kick in when I use make
> ?
> > Any and all advice or guidance is very welcome. What else can one do to
> cut
> > down the time it takes for compilation ? And am still waiting for this to
> > compile ( aaargh ! )
>
> >Hmm, I have never really looked at ccache.  I believe it wants the
>checksum of the file and possibly the filename and compiler arguments
>to all be exactly the same for it to use the cache.  Assuming it is even
>trying to use the cache.

Yes it is picky but the documentation says once everything is configured
and you get things going ccache can show a remarkable improvement in
compilation time. If I had a dual core with 8gigs of ram probably would not
need ccache ?
<https://sites.google.com/site/arunahewapathirane/home/business-card/buisness-card.png?attredirects=0>