screen vs. tmux - WAS: Does KDE etc.

Ben Walton bdwalton-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 21 16:34:49 UTC 2014

On Jan 21, 2014 8:21 AM, "Giles Orr" <gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> On 21 January 2014 11:12, Matt Seburn <mattseburn-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>>
>> I was a longtime user of gnu screen, but discovered tmux 6 months ago or
so and haven't looked back.  I should check out terminator.  Does anyone
know what the key differences are between them?

>> With my current workspace setup (on KDE, if it matters), I have one
terminal window stickied to all of my desktops.  I separate my browser
windows by desktop, and have my terminal work separated into tmux
sessions.  Works great for me.

> As a basic user of screen, I find that there are a couple small but
annoying things I cannot do in tmux (and I couldn't even tell you what now
as I haven't used tmux in a while - renaming sessions maybe, something else
as well) that I can in screen.  So, while I think tmux is probably "the way
forward," I'm wondering what would motivate a long-time screen user to move
from one to the other.  I guess I'm hoping you'll tell us the good about
using tmux and I'll finally make the move and stick with it ...

Scriptability is light years more advanced in tmux. It also sports a nice
MVC model which makes working with and reasoning about it easier.

I switched after years of screen use and haven't looked back or missed
anything from screen. My shell auto attaches to an always running session
when I open a terminal locally or ssh in. My emacs client is wired up to
find my emacs pane, flip to it and then back when I terminate the client. I
have several handy hotkeys for man page browsing, etc.

Some of those were cumbersome our always subtlety broken in screen...

Thanks
-Ben