screen vs. tmux - WAS: Does KDE etc.

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 21 16:31:52 UTC 2014

On 21/01/14 11:21 AM, Giles Orr wrote:
> On 21 January 2014 11:12, Matt Seburn <mattseburn-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> As a basic user of screen, I find that there are a couple small but
> annoying things I cannot do in tmux (and I couldn't even tell you what now
> as I haven't used tmux in a while - renaming sessions maybe, something else
> as well) that I can in screen.  So, while I think tmux is probably "the way
> forward," I'm wondering what would motivate a long-time screen user to move
> from one to the other.  I guess I'm hoping you'll tell us the good about
> using tmux and I'll finally make the move and stick with it ...

Sharing a tmux is easy, splitting windows is easy, and resizing is
simple and works with arrow keys. I'm sure you can do all those things
in screen, but in all my years of using it I never figured it out.
Whereas with tmux in a week I was able to do all those things and the
devs at work love using it collaboratively.

Cheers, Jamon