What is acceptable in TLUG?

Thomas Milne thomas.bruce.milne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 16 16:09:14 UTC 2014

On Jan 16, 2014 11:08 AM, "Matt Seburn" <mattseburn-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 3:06 AM, Digimer <lists-5ZoueyuiTZiw5LPnMra/2Q at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>>
>> As others have said, this is not a free speech issue. It's not even a
censorship issue.

>> Those concepts pertain to government issues. If someone wants to spew
terrible things like this in a public square and people argued that he
should be arrested, then that would be a free speech issue. If the
government says that people can't publish ideas like this, that is
censorship. Even then, our society has placed limits ("yell fire in a
theatre", publishing hate speech, etc).

>> What this is, is a decision on how the administrators of this group
wishes to shape this group. If the administration of TLUG decides that
William's comments are fair game, that is their choice.

>> So I would like to ask for a formal statement from TLUG on whether
comments like William's are considered acceptable or not.

>> Once this policy is stated, members can decide if they wish to support
that policy by remaining members.

> Thank you for starting this thread.  I agree with Dave, William's post
was absolutely sexual harassment and has no place here.  If the moderators
consider that kind of thing acceptable, I will be forced to leave TLUG.

Totally agree.