RFC -- application without user configuration?

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 13 20:42:47 UTC 2014

On 13 January 2014 14:48, William Park <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Question:
>     Do you know sizable application that has no user configuration at
>     all, or the configuration is done in source file?  When I say
>     "sizable", I mean things like spreadsheet, not 'ls' or 'make'.
>
>     Most, if not all, apps nowadays have user configuration as their
>     selling point.  So, I would be interested in hearing from old guys.
>
> Background:
>     I decided against using or extending Python, because it eventually
>     becomes a trap.  It's easy at the beginning, but as soon as
>     customization comes into play, I'm stuck with what I can find or do
>     in Python.  Some will say Python/Ruby is designed for that.  But,
>     considering target audience, business practice, use case,
>     deployment, and support, it's not that simple in real world.
>
>     So, I wrote my own code, which turns out to be glorified wordexp(3)
>     with if/for/while things.  But, in trying to avoid trap dug by
>     someone else, it feels like I'm digging my own trap to fall into.
>
>     In ERP/accounting system, you practically never make changes once
>     the business flow has been set.  You will see people use 20 years
>     old setup, and that's because their business process has not changed
>     for 20 years.  So, "user configuration" has different meaning in
>     this part of world.
>
>     I'm interested in looking at applications which has no user
>     configuration at all, or if there is config file, then it's included
>     as part of source.  Whether you edit external config file or source
>     file, editing would be the same.  Just that users don't get to edit
>     anything.

The wm2 window manager: http://www.all-day-breakfast.com/wm2/ .  You'll
like it: install and go, thou shalt not configure.  Just remember that
removing configurability means you'd better have defaults so good they
appeal to enough people to support your product.  That's not easy.
Speaking of which ... I liked wm2, but I imagine it appealed to a very
narrow audience!

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/