RFC -- application without user configuration?

William Park opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 13 19:48:48 UTC 2014

Hi,

Question:
    Do you know sizable application that has no user configuration at
    all, or the configuration is done in source file?  When I say
    "sizable", I mean things like spreadsheet, not 'ls' or 'make'.

    Most, if not all, apps nowadays have user configuration as their
    selling point.  So, I would be interested in hearing from old guys.

Background:
    I decided against using or extending Python, because it eventually
    becomes a trap.  It's easy at the beginning, but as soon as
    customization comes into play, I'm stuck with what I can find or do
    in Python.  Some will say Python/Ruby is designed for that.  But,
    considering target audience, business practice, use case,
    deployment, and support, it's not that simple in real world.

    So, I wrote my own code, which turns out to be glorified wordexp(3)
    with if/for/while things.  But, in trying to avoid trap dug by
    someone else, it feels like I'm digging my own trap to fall into.

    In ERP/accounting system, you practically never make changes once
    the business flow has been set.  You will see people use 20 years
    old setup, and that's because their business process has not changed
    for 20 years.  So, "user configuration" has different meaning in
    this part of world.

    I'm interested in looking at applications which has no user
    configuration at all, or if there is config file, then it's included
    as part of source.  Whether you edit external config file or source
    file, editing would be the same.  Just that users don't get to edit
    anything.
--
William