Linux Kernel Network Subsystem Patching

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Sun Jan 12 02:54:19 UTC 2014

> > 1) Gentoo is source-based, you will be compiling kernels and everything
> > else you update.  If you dislike doing an occasional kernel rebuild,
> > forget gentoo.  There's recompiling of various applications and
> > libraries each update (say approx every 2 weeks).
>
> I have no issues compiling kernels or other sources, just do not want
> compiling to take half a day :-)

  I now have a 4-core i5 from Dell.  Building a kernel is a snap.  But
building gcc or glibc or Firefox when they update can take an hour or
so.  Extrapolate that to your single-core machine... you do not want any
source-based distro that requires you to do builds of *ALL* your apps.

> Yes there is a lot of bloat in any Ubuntu distro I guess because it
> is designed to work out of the box but we dont need all the drivers,
> this is why I was trying to compile and roll my own kernel.

  Maybe you could look at Debian, on which Ubuntu is based.  You have to
do more grunt work, but if you're building kernels, I think you won't
have a problem.