Linux Kernel Network Subsystem Patching

Mel Wilson mwilson-Ja3L+HSX0kI at public.gmane.org
Sun Jan 12 02:28:38 UTC 2014

On Sat, 2014-01-11 at 19:48 -0500, Walter Dnes wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 11, 2014 at 06:59:12PM -0500, Aruna Hewapathirane wrote
[ ... ]

> > Recently I noticed top showing me a lot more than the usual load
> > average and I thought let me hyperthread, enabled in BIOS but
> > strangely some applications actually took longer to load and some
> > were slow than before ?
>
>   "Hyperthreading" isn't all it's cracked up to be.  In theory it's
> supposed to help a lot, in practice it can actually slow down a machine,
> as you've seen.

Or worse.  The system here is an MSI motherboard G41M-P26.  From the day
I got it, under load (large compiles, for instance), it would eventually
lock up.  ISTR I needed to cycle power to get it down.  Resource monitor
would show "both" processors pinned at 100%.  When I'd hunted the web
and found out what Hyperthreading was, and turned it off, the machine
got stable, and has been ever since.

	Mel.