Linux Kernel Network Subsystem Patching

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun Jan 12 18:34:49 UTC 2014

| From: Aruna Hewapathirane <aruna.hewapathirane-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>

| I am trying to find the distro that best uses my hardware resources without
| overloading my single core cpu so yes will definitely
| have a look at Debian but I still feel best thing would be to get the
| mainline stable kernel or pull straight from Linus then build and use a
| lightweight DE like ICEWM or Awesome ?

It depends on how much mucking about you want to do.  I would think
that a mainstream distro packaged with a lightweight desktop would be
easy and fine.

For example:
  <http://spins.fedoraproject.org/>
  <http://www.ubuntu.com/about/about-ubuntu/derivatives>
Xfce or LXDE might be good.

I assume (with no knowledge) that Slackware might be or could be
light-weight.

My intuition is that the #1 cause of problems on older hardware is
the compositing desktop managers that require 3d acceleration (Gnome
3, Unity, and KDE).

The desktop bloat has also probably continued apace.  So older, slower
evolving applications and environments are probably fine.

CentOS 6. is probably old enough to be good on older hardware.  I run
CentOS 5 on a couple of older/smaller machines.

I'm 100% sure that one can configure a modest Debian.  But I've not
tried.