Acer recovery partition

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Feb 18 23:00:30 UTC 2014

On 18 February 2014 17:32, Randy Jonasz <rjonasz-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> On 14-02-18 03:44 PM, Stewart C. Russell wrote:
>>
>> VirtualBox is great if you:
>> * Add the host extensions, which give you host filesystem and exotic
>> hardware access;
>
> One problem I'm having with Virtual Box is allowing Windows to access USB
peripherals.  Ubuntu's Unity seems to capture the connection before Windows
has a chance.  e.g. When I insert a USB drive, the file manager opens in
Unity and nothing happens in Windows.  Any idea how to let Windows access
the drive?

I couldn't remember the exact details, so I checked Wikipedia (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtualbox ):

'With version 4 of VirtualBox, released in December 2010, the core package
is free software released under GNU General Public License version 2
(GPLv2). This is the fully featured package, excluding some proprietary
components not available under GPLv2. These components provide support for
USB 2.0 devices, Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) and Preboot Execution
Environment (PXE) for Intel cards and are released as a separate
"VirtualBox Oracle VM VirtualBox extension pack" under a proprietary
Personal Use and Evaluation License (PUEL), which permits use of the
software for personal use, educational use, or evaluation, free of charge.'

So host system USB access isn't included by default.  You need to install
another extension (not the standard "Guest Additions") - I don't know where
you get that, although Oracle seems likely.  I've been working with
VirtualBox some recently at work and have come up against the USB access
problem: I thought it was for-pay only.  I guess it will be at work, but I
can use it at home if I don't mind the non-free license ...

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/
gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org