Linux Desktop on Android Device?

William Muriithi william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Feb 12 18:38:33 UTC 2014

On Feb 12, 2014 12:44 PM, "Lennart Sorensen" <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org>
wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 09:49:33AM -0500, Stephen W. Clarke wrote:
> > Does anyone on this list know of a tutorial that explains the process
for
> > replacing the OS on an android device with a Linux Desktop? is if even
> > possible? I assume I'd have to use adb and fastboot, but I'm not sure
> > exactly what the steps are or the order they need to be done in.
>
> You would have to get a kernel with the right drivers, and a driver for
> the video chip that can run X.

And I think we don't have an open source video driver yet. Or can nvidia
blobs work on phone? Unlikely I would say.
> After that, well you would need some way to get the touch screen to work
> with X or using a mouse somehow.
>
> The actual booting and replacing the firmware is a trivial minor detail
> in the overall task.
What about baseband? I think as long as we depend on closed source blobs,
its not worth it. Would be too fragile and easy to break during updates.

Hopefully some day, nouveau will be good enough to not bother with blobs.
At that time, I may tinker with mine too.

William

William