Weekend project: Dovecot+Solr for searchable email

Todd Howe tehowe-lJUvcdpYuyfIEIWhD7vHkg at public.gmane.org
Tue Feb 11 15:22:55 UTC 2014

On Sat, Feb 08, 2014 at 05:12:15PM -0500, Jamon Camisso wrote:
> So I've decided to give Dovecot and FTS (full text search) a try and am
> very pleased with the results thus far. I'm using their Solr plugin for
> search.
>
> While I hate Java as a rule, Solr+Lucene is the right tool since it
> gives granular control over how to handle synonyms, stop words, short
> search terms etc. and works on all but the most extreme sized datasets.

That sounds great... index all the things! From my (quick) reading of Solr,
which I'd coincidentally only heard of the day before, you need at least some
subset of a Java EE installation, right?

I really need to get on that. In the meantime (and for anyone else wanting a
quick and dirty indexed mailbox search), I found that mairix does a good job from
the shell or from within mutt as well.

--
-____ Todd Howe ____________________ tehowe-lJUvcdpYuyfIEIWhD7vHkg at public.gmane.org ___________-
 -____ GPG: public key id E8BCABA7__ IM: tehowe on twitter, jabber ____-