No systemd discussion?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Aug 19 14:50:40 UTC 2014

On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 10:30:16PM -0400, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> I didn't start out a GPL fan.  I've been driven there by the behaviour
> of users-of-but-not-contributors-to BSD licensed code.
>
> So the idea of moving to a userland copied from Android to replace the
> current Linux userland does not appeal to me.  That's what Landley is
> proposing.  Android's userland is allergic to GPL and that's one of
> his motivations for avoiding systemd (which is GPL).
>
> (I don't know what his goal is.  After all, if you want a Linux with
> an Android userland, that is exactly what Android is.)
>
> Landley does make some useful observations.  I don't really know
> systemd but:
>
> It seems to be complicated and growing at an immodest rate.  I suspect
> that it is doing too much and is reducing the modularity of the
> system.
>
> The developers seem to have trouble getting along with others.  (That
> can be said of Landley, for what it's worth.)
>
> It looks to be a much better solution than the others that have been
> widely adopted.

I think you completely misread what he wrote.  I think he is trying
to replace some of androids userspace and saying systemd can't do that
because android says 'no gpl in userspace'.  But it is also possible I
misread it.

He does a lot of work with embedded systems, including a lot of systems
where systemd almost certainly would not fit.

I know he is not a fan of gcc or gnu make, and who can blame him. :)

--
Len Sorensen