No systemd discussion?

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Aug 19 02:30:16 UTC 2014

| From: Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org>

| I would love to see a good solution.  I saw a comment from Rob Landley
| about creating a small version of launchd (which I think he intends to
| name lunchd) as part of his toybox package.  He has quite the rant about
| systemd here: https://forums.darknedgy.net/viewtopic.php?id=3844

I didn't start out a GPL fan.  I've been driven there by the behaviour
of users-of-but-not-contributors-to BSD licensed code.

So the idea of moving to a userland copied from Android to replace the
current Linux userland does not appeal to me.  That's what Landley is
proposing.  Android's userland is allergic to GPL and that's one of
his motivations for avoiding systemd (which is GPL).

(I don't know what his goal is.  After all, if you want a Linux with
an Android userland, that is exactly what Android is.)

Landley does make some useful observations.  I don't really know
systemd but:

It seems to be complicated and growing at an immodest rate.  I suspect
that it is doing too much and is reducing the modularity of the
system.

The developers seem to have trouble getting along with others.  (That
can be said of Landley, for what it's worth.)

It looks to be a much better solution than the others that have been
widely adopted.