Toshiba Laptop Overheating

phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org
Mon Aug 11 21:22:01 UTC 2014

I have two Toshiba laptops here.

The Satellite PA3373U-1MPC (doesn't that just roll off your tongue?) has
two large fan openings in the bottom, each of which is accompanied by a
fan. There is also a warning 'Hot base may cause burn. Avoid prolonged
contact with bare skin.' (If it's too hot for comfort, why would you
prolong the agony?) This machine runs reliably only if it's on top of a
fan-cooling base. Kind of defeats the purpose of being portable.

The second machine, a Satellite L500D, has only one fan opening and no hot
spot warnings, but the exhaust from the fan is quite hot. I installed
Linux Mint on it and the result was very nice. Then the video died, and I
see on the internet that it is not uncommon for the internal temperature
to rise to the point where the video chip comes unsoldered from the PC
board. The solution apparently is to reflow the solder joints. I could do
that, but given that the fan is working correctly, why wouldn't it happen
again?

I'd recommend staying away from Toshiba laptops unless they are known to
have fixed this problem. I'm going to scrap these two, if anyone wants
them.

Peter

--
Peter Hiscocks
Syscomp Electronic Design Limited, Toronto