Using USB key as real home and possible encryption?

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Sun Apr 27 03:06:39 UTC 2014

  Let's say I want to go travelling with my laptop, and I don't want to
lose confidential stuff if I lose the laptop.  64 and 128 gigabyte USB
keys are now available.  I intend to...

* set up an innocuous /home/waltdnes directory on the laptop
* format a 64 or 128 gigabyte USB key as ext2fs
* copy the contents of my desktop's /home/waltdnes directory to the key
* when I want to use the "desktop $HOME dir", I'll mount the USB key over
  top of /home/waltdnes, e.g...
  mount -t ext2 /dev/sdb1 /home/waltdnes

  So now the worry is not losing the USB key.  Is there some form of
transparent on-the-fly encryption available that would allow me to read
*AND WRTE TO* the USB key?  This is in case I lose the USB key.  I'd be
looking at encrypting the entire "/dev/sdb1" USB key partition.