Email and the right to free speech

David Collier-Brown davec-b-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Apr 17 19:47:42 UTC 2014

On 04/17/2014 03:24 PM, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 02:40:53PM -0400, David Collier-Brown wrote:
>> [long answer, sorry...]
>>
>> I can vote with my feet, being an individual, and did. My main address
>> is at spamcop.
>>
>> Regrettably, we have a severe lack of wires-on-poles providers, and
>> mine, Rogers, is foolish enough to have partnered with Yahoo.  My other
>> choice is Bell, who is indistinguishably better or worse. I sure can't
>> tell which (;-))
> You do generally have choices other than Rogers and Bell.  Teksavvy is
> quite a popular one around this group.

Yes, and they're from Chatham, my home town!

However, they aren't the owners of wires on poles, and that oligopoly
can make it exceedingly hard for anyone who isn't one of the
club-of-two.  Tek almost got killed when the "duopoly" decide to
introduce usage caps. If it weren't for the CRTC, they'd be toast.

For a free market, TekSavvy is necessary. Regrettably, they're not
sufficient.

--dave

davecb-0XdUWXLQalXR7s880joybQ at public.gmane.org           |                      -- Mark Twain