Email and the right to free speech

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Apr 17 20:00:44 UTC 2014

On 04/17/2014 03:47 PM, David Collier-Brown wrote:
> On 04/17/2014 03:24 PM, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
>> On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 02:40:53PM -0400, David Collier-Brown wrote:
>>> [long answer, sorry...]
>>>
>>> I can vote with my feet, being an individual, and did. My main address
>>> is at spamcop.
>>>
>>> Regrettably, we have a severe lack of wires-on-poles providers, and
>>> mine, Rogers, is foolish enough to have partnered with Yahoo.  My other
>>> choice is Bell, who is indistinguishably better or worse. I sure can't
>>> tell which (;-))
>> You do generally have choices other than Rogers and Bell.  Teksavvy is
>> quite a popular one around this group.
>>
> Yes, and they're from Chatham, my home town!
>
> However, they aren't the owners of wires on poles, and that oligopoly
> can make it exceedingly hard for anyone who isn't one of the
> club-of-two.  Tek almost got killed when the "duopoly" decide to
> introduce usage caps. If it weren't for the CRTC, they'd be toast.
>
> For a free market, TekSavvy is necessary. Regrettably, they're not
> sufficient.

Dave, what does any of that have to do with who provides email services
for you? I'm sure you know that you always have the option of using an
email provider that is independent of your ISP whether it's a no-cost
service, like Gmail, or a paid service that hosts you-FBj3rGVNSafJGjvyiQTEsA at public.gmane.org
Email and other services are easy to decouple from who provides Internet
access for you. I've always treated my ISP as a provider of access and
nothing else which is why to change from Rogers to TekSavvy didn't have
any impact on anything other than my wallet as I got mostly better
service for less money. I didn't have to change my email addresses with
all the hassle that would have entailed.

--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay

647-778-8696