More on tiny ARM-based PCs

Stewart C. Russell scruss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Sep 28 02:07:19 UTC 2013

On 13-09-27 10:55 AM, Evan Leibovitch wrote:

> I am especially interested to know if its architecture is considered
> more open than the Pi's, given the number of ... issues ... that
> exist regarding its openness.

I have real trouble seeing the problem with the Raspberry Pi's openness.
If the firmware had be burnt into unchangeable ROM, it would have been
considered "open", but the fact that it's loaded as a blob appears to be
the problem. For this reason, I find some free software policies
difficult to explain to potential users.

My old Sheevaplug has been doing sterling duty as a music server since
2009. I planned to replace it with a Raspberry Pi almost a year ago, but
people have monkeyed with the music server backend I rely on (mt-daapd),
"refactoring" the reliable but ugly code so that most of the useful
features have gone, and the whole thing is painfully slow on my 34,000+
track database.

cheers,
 Stewart