More on tiny ARM-based PCs

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Sep 27 19:15:03 UTC 2013

On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 10:55:02AM -0400, Evan Leibovitch wrote:
> Given all the recent interest in Pi's and Bones, I'm curious to know if
> anyone in TLUG has a CuBox. It's more expensive than the others, but has
> recently gone through a significant price drop. I am especially interested
> to know if its architecture is considered more open than the Pi's, given
> the number of ... issues ... that exist regarding its openness. One
> intetresting thing about it, apparently, is that since its processor
> (Marvell) supports the ARMv7 spec it is able to run Android and
> conventional Linux (one report claims it can run KDE, not a small feat for
> one of these tiny things).
>
> All reviews and analysis, good or bad, are welcome.

I do have a cubox (the original marvell kind, not the new vastly superior
freescale imx6 based one).

The mainline kernel has decent support for it these days, except for
a few small patches to do with audio, and more importantly, lack of
working video drivers.  Patches do exist to make video work but there
seems to be multiple different implementations aiming for different
things.

I expect the newer model with the imx6 is in a much better state, given
the wandboard, and new cubox all use the same CPU and freescale has been
much better than marvell at getting things merged.

--
Len Sorensen