HDMI to VGA adapter has arrived.

Scott Sullivan scott-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org
Fri Sep 27 15:45:58 UTC 2013

On 09/27/2013 03:30 AM, Evan Leibovitch wrote:
> On 26 September 2013 15:24, Colin McGregor <colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
> <mailto:colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>> wrote:
>
>      > We chose this one specifically, after borrowing the same model
>     from Colin
>      > McGregor for testing.
>      >
>      >
>     http://canada.newark.com/element14/piview/cable-assembly-hdmi-to-vga-adapter/dp/07W8937
>
>     Just to expand on this a little, I bought the above adapter for use
>     with one of my Raspberry Pies. Having spent $35 on a computer, I
>     wasn't about to drop another $100+ plus on a new monitor, not when I
>     had a couple of 15" LCD VGA monitors available.
>

> That's why I'm surprised that you dropped $20+shipping on an HDMI-to-VGA
> adaptor:
> http://www.ebay.com/itm/1080P-Chipset-HDMI-Male-to-VGA-Female-Video-Cable-Cord-Converter-Adapter-Black/310757053138
>
> Maybe it might not have worked, but it was probably worth trying at the
> price. It looks identical to the Newark one.

In this particular case, paying the little extra for something we know
will work was worth the extra. It's about ROI and we will get it.
Additionally it was trivial for me to include it in an order with other
items, so convenience was also a factor.

The other issue with this logic is that if it doesn't work, I'm now out
$4 + $20 and a lot of time, instead of just $20 and ready to roll. These
choices have to weighed in context and not on price alone.

Additionally there is extended value in getting something from a trusted
source. While you can certainly do your due diligence and check the
rating of the ebay seller, you can't verify their supply chain or if
their buying knock offs from the same factory.

There is a great series of tear-downs that gives good overview of the
kind over corners that these factories will take to make a $4 ebay item.

http://www.righto.com/2012/05/apple-iphone-charger-teardown-quality.html
http://www.righto.com/2012/03/inside-cheap-phone-charger-and-why-you.html
http://www.righto.com/2012/10/a-dozen-usb-chargers-in-lab-apple-is.html

--