HDMI to VGA adapter has arrived.

Colin McGregor colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 26 19:24:57 UTC 2013

On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 5:00 PM, Scott Sullivan <scott-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On 09/25/2013 04:54 PM, Scott Sullivan wrote:
>>
>> As ordered at the Exec meeting, the HDMI to VGA adapter has arrived.
>>

> Okay... so that went to the wrong list.
>
> For those interested, we have recognized that many more
> machines/phone/tablets are HDMI equipped. To ensure greater comparability
> for our presenters we've invested in an HDMI to VGA adapter to use with our
> projector.
>
> We chose this one specifically, after borrowing the same model from Colin
> McGregor for testing.
>
> http://canada.newark.com/element14/piview/cable-assembly-hdmi-to-vga-adapter/dp/07W8937

Just to expand on this a little, I bought the above adapter for use
with one of my Raspberry Pies. Having spent $35 on a computer, I
wasn't about to drop another $100+ plus on a new monitor, not when I
had a couple of 15" LCD VGA monitors available. Reading some of the
Raspberry Pi message boards turns up the fact that some of the HDMI to
VGA adapters don't get along with the Raspberry Pi (the adapters steal
power from the Pi, and some demand more power than the Pi can
supply...). Bottom line for me was that the "PI View" adapter was a
safe choice to allow me to re-use monitors with a Raspberry Pi... The
nice bit here being that these adapters will work in, as far as I
know, all HDMI to VGA situations...