Secure Credit Card Station

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 23 16:34:07 UTC 2013

On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 12:16 PM, Kevin Cozens <kevin-4dS5u2o1hCn3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On 13-09-21 05:19 PM, Alex Beamish wrote:
>>
>> If I were presented with this scenario, I would choose not to make the
>> purchase, as I'd have no way to tell if there were hidden cameras around
>> or
>> key-loggers installed on the laptop. I only use my credit card to buy on
>> the
>> Internet using my own systems.
>

> I agree with that. I wouldn't trust someones laptop. You don't know for sure
> what will be done with the data you enter, or if the laptop is free of
> malware/spyware that could capture the CC data and pass it to someone else.

You're missing the more crucial failing...

It isn't necessary for the exploit to involve the laptop itself, or
for there to be
anything untrustworthy at that layer.

If I were keen on defeating this, I wouldn't be very enthusiastic about options
that required hacking the software, because that would leave pretty heavy
footprints if it were discovered.

The hidden camera idea is *much* better as it is effective without there being
any need to compromise any software.  Go ahead, get the device certified,
however you like; that'll improve your confidence, whilst it doesn't do anything
to help against the exploit that'll actually bite...