off-topic: FTTH in Toronto

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 10 19:59:37 UTC 2013

FWIW:

I currently use TekSavvy for my DSL. They have what is called FTTN (Fibre
to the Neighbourhood), which I suppose can't be as good as FTTH but still
not too bad (50/10). The data cap is at 300GB but any traffic between 2-8am
isn't counted against that cap.

The equipment is all clearly labeled as Bell, including the OEM router
which apparemntly has Bell-sepcific tweaks and thus cannot be bought
off-the-shelf. Having said that... not only does Bell charge more for the
service, the Bell website denies that I even have that service available
(my speed tests -- using Bell's own test site at http://206.47.199.107/ and
others -- confirm that I do have 50/10).

On 10 September 2013 11:24, James Knott <james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Anthony Verevkin wrote:
> > Right. But that's not the case with Rogers. Rogers has built their whole
> > cable network with no subsidies, but they now have to share their cable
> > with others the same way Bell does. So there must be something else to
> it.
>
> Don't forget, when they "share" their system, they're paid for it.  Same
> with the cell network.  Bell was complaining that Verizon would ride for
> free on the existing networks, while ignoring the fact that any company
> roaming on another has to pay to do so.  Wind customers roamed on Rogers
> and paid extra when they did so.  Bell also complained about possbile
> job loss, yet have for years sent jobs out of the country.  My heart
> bleeds for them.  ;-)

Evan Leibovitch
Toronto Canada

Em: evan at telly dot org