Ebooks on Linux

Randy Jonasz rjonasz-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Oct 9 21:43:54 UTC 2013

With the recent discussion of eReaders I've been thinking about
reading ebooks on Linux.  I personally like FBReader but I'm sure
there are others as well.  The problem is DRM.  I buy my books from
websites with adobe DRM built into the file.  That leaves me with
running an outdated version of adobe Digital Editions with wine or
running windows or using my eReader.  I can't believe publishers are
able to dictate the software and platforms on which I can read the
book I bought!  What happens if the vendor of the software files for
bankruptcy.  Am I out of luck?  Archambault.ca, a provider of French
ebooks in Canada, restricts reading to THEIR reader software.  No
linux version version either.  Now I have found software which will
strip the DRM from epub, pdf and Kindle books.  It works quite well.
Now I can read on linux with whatever software I please.  What are the
ethics of removing the DRM from books?  What are the legal
implications in Canada of doing this?

Cheers,

Randy