[u-u] OT: Video Disc Player and discs

Todd Howe tehowe-lJUvcdpYuyfIEIWhD7vHkg at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 28 13:25:44 UTC 2013

I found this fascinating in the Wikipedia article:

"Novelty discs and CED-based games were produced whereby accessing the chapters in a specified
order would string together a different story each time. However, only a few were produced
before the halt of CED player manufacturing"

Most DVDs never took advantage of these presentation features, but CEDs had 'games'?

I've seen an 8-track once or twice, at a safe distance, and I'm barely aware of the existence
of laserdiscs - I'm pretty sure a friend's Dad once had Star Wars on laserdisc. The most
esoteric my family ever got was a Betamax player (fie, foul VHS usurper) - yet from this
article clearly CEDs, C*Vs had a heydey as some sort of vinyl based ancestor to DVDs.

So much interesting tech binned - Beta machines could be as digital audio masters as well at
the time (?!) The storage of video is a commodity now, you just pick some two terabyte hard
drive off the shelf or build a NAS and the Internet's lookign like the end of history for
media formats but the closed-format wars carry on for other products.

 -____ GPG: public key id E8BCABA7___