[u-u] OT: Video Disc Player and discs

Stewart C. Russell scruss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 28 01:28:35 UTC 2013

On 13-11-27 06:14 PM, Hugh Gamble wrote:

> Anybody still got a 3” floppy (not 3 ½” or 3 ¼”) in their monitor?

Very fond memories of the Hitachi 3" disk. They were slightly popular in
the UK, as they were used in almost all Amstrad 8-bit computers, the ZX
Spectrum +3, and the ridiculously developer-friendly (but ££££) Tatung
Einstein.

(I still miss the EPROM software for the Amstrad CPC. A pretty decent
word processor fitted into a 16kB ROM, and could be switched in with a
two key command. But I digress.)

3" disks were very tough; friends used to mail them without cases or
envelopes, and they'd make it through (usually). Apart from their high
price and low density (178 kB per side, formatted) they were good and
reliable. Unfortunately, as the drives age, their drive belts give out,
so few people have working ones now.

I had hundreds of them. Only had very few fail.

cheers,
 Stewart