resizing a ext3 partition

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 21 20:27:50 UTC 2013

On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 10:06:51AM -0500, Dave Cramer wrote:
> I want to resize my root partition. This is on a vm so I have the file and
> can play with it.
>
> as I understand it I want to use fdisk to delete then create the partition.
>
> It currently starts at 1, but fdisk insists on using 2048 as the end. Is
> there a way to simply edit the end in the partition table ?

I would use gparted.

Changes the partition table and filesystems all at the same time for you.

If you enable partition support on loop mount, then you can do this:

modprobe -r loop (Unload loop module)
modprobe loop max_part=16 (Load loop module with partition support)
losetup /dev/loop0 diskimagefile (connect loop0 to image file, which should then show /dev/loop0p1, etc as partitions on that disk image)
gparted /dev/loop0 (Use gparted to change things)
losetup -d /dev/loop0 (disconnect from loop0)

--
Len Sorensen