Stallman about surveillance

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed Nov 6 12:03:29 UTC 2013

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> I think the good old diesel generators started with compressed air that
> could be started and synced to the grid in a few cycles of the power
> are the really impressive ones.  Less than a second response time to
> demand, but most certainly not the most efficient or economical way to
> generate power.

We used to have some "no break" power systems at work.  These consisted
of a motor turning an alternator and an 8 ton flywheel.  There was also
a diesel engine.  When the power failed, a clutch connected the diesel
to the flywheel, which started the diesel very quickly.  The flywheel
also kept the alternator turning to maintain power.