Stallman about surveillance

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 5 17:42:54 UTC 2013

On Fri, Nov 01, 2013 at 10:05:43AM -0400, Stewart C. Russell wrote:
> On 13-11-01 07:45 AM, James Knott wrote:
> >
> > The ones we spent over a billion on not getting.
>
> While paying for generation you're never going to get is expensive, the
> cancelled plants* weren't of the type I as meaning. They were going to
> be combined cycle, which adds a steam plant to a heavy frame gas
> turbine. They are fairly efficient, can have medium to high capacity
> factors, but take a little time to spin up and raise steam.
>
> The expensive peakers are basically a jet engine in a box with a shaft
> going to a generator. All the heat from the exhaust is wasted. These can
> be spun up in minutes, but might only run 10% of the time.
>
> Okay, I'll be quiet now. Not everyone geeks to electrical supply and demand.

I think the good old diesel generators started with compressed air that
could be started and synced to the grid in a few cycles of the power
are the really impressive ones.  Less than a second response time to
demand, but most certainly not the most efficient or economical way to
generate power.

--
Len Sorensen