Top posting

Thomas Milne thomas.bruce.milne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed May 29 13:44:10 UTC 2013

On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 1:43 PM, Jamon Camisso <jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org>wrote:

> On 28/05/13 12:08 PM, Stewart C. Russell wrote:
> > It is with the professional set. You can send and receive it on Outlook,
> > Blackberry, iPhone, OS X Mail (if you're a “creative”) or Android (if
> > you're an engineer). That's 999‰ of the business ecosystem.
>
> This list is distinctly *not* driven by the business ecosystem, or the
> legal, or the xyz system. It is a technical mailing list for Linux based
> discussions, for and by people who ought to know enough to adhere to a
> common standard of discourse. After all that's what computers and
> operating systems are, standardized computational tools, from CPU
> architectures, memory allocation best practices, up to UTF8 email
> messages and beyond.
>
> HTML email, and top-posting on this list are terrible scourges, that
> should be dealt with in a most severe manner the likes of which Lennart
> has only hinted at in passing.
>
> /dev/null is too warm and inviting a place for such emails :p
>
> Why such a strident opinion you might ask? Simply put, HTML email and
> not taking a moment to reply in-line or bottom post encourages laziness.
> Most insidious is that the default message composition format and
> behaviour in many clients encourages this laziness.
>
> Granted, like any tool, email can (and should be!) be used by anyone in
> any manner that they see fit. However, within the context of this list,
> one should use the tool in a manner that reflects an understanding of
> the context within which a detail oriented discussion is taking place,
> and the intended audience of said discussion.
>
> To draw upon McLuhan: if the medium is the message (HTML being the
> medium for the contents of an email), then the message as I see it on a
> regular basis consists of mostly badly formed syntactic messes of
> irrelevant divs, fonts and formatting, the sheer bulk of which largely
> outweigh the actual meaningful content of said message. Signatures are
> infinitely worse for the value that they impart to a discussion and they
> deserve their own special place in email hell.
>
> Given the subject of this list is highly technical at times, it makes
> sense to be clear and technical with one's formatting, language, and in
> using meaningful structures to organize one's ideas. This approach is
> useful in that it maintains some semblance of logical coherence across
> multiple highly technical posts (at times), and also maps nicely onto
> threaded email clients that reflect said structure on a macro-level.
>
> I'll be the first to admit that I never live up to that standard of
> communication on this list, or any other. But it doesn't mean that I
> ought to be lazy and not try.
>
> > Don't forget Postel's Law, as enshrined in RFC1122: “Be liberal in what
> > you accept, and conservative in what you send”.
>
> A key tenant of all good writing is knowing one's audience. Postel's Law
> makes for a useful comparison that maps nicely to this discussion:

> [...]
I think you mean 'tenet', but otherwise I 100% agree.

This is sarcasm --> Yes, when I read the list in GMail, I have to click
'Reply', and then I have to click to unhide the quoted text, and then I
have to scroll down to where I can bottom post. Same when I'm using my
phone, and then it's twice as difficult.

Oh, the humanity. The woe is beyond my ability to bear it. <-- Sarcasm

Seriously, that is pretty much the other side of it isn't it? Really, what
it comes down to is some people are saying, very politely "Please, if you
are using this list here is a set of rules that have always made it more
pleasant for _everyone_ to participate."

The response of the top/HTML posters: "I don't feel like it.", and "this is
the way big shot lawyers do it" are not arguments in favour of using either
methods on _this mailing list_. The immaturity is really unbecoming of
supposedly educated people. It's like those American tourists who go to
another country and get upset when they don't speak 'Merican.

--
Thomas Milne