Top posting

Scott Elcomb psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue May 28 01:43:45 UTC 2013

On Mon, May 27, 2013 at 8:53 PM, Stewart C. Russell <scruss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On 13-05-27 04:27 PM, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
>>
>> People that send HTML only generally haven't said anything I would care
>> to read anyhow.
>
> Our counsel - both internal, and a raft of Bay and Wellington street
> externals - use it exclusively. I doubt a judge would would take a very
> lenient view of "I don't read HTML emails".

[rant]
While I agree with judges reacting this way (being skeptical of a
seemingly arbitrary [and possibly convenient] choice) it also enforces
my belief that lawmakers should have more-than-passing education in
how the internet works.

Yes, HTML-only mail includes the text of a message but the messages'
source code is not meant to be read by humans; all kinds of things
[for good or evil] can be hidden inside HTML-only messages.  The legal
profession should, IMHO, prefer plaintext for clarity & security.
Markup makes sense regarding contracts (licenses et al) and marketing
(fancy fonts, logos & images), but not for general communication.
[/rant]

PS: Somewhat related: <https://twitter.com/psema4/status/338705441355874306>

--
  Scott Elcomb