OT: Canadians asked to accept spam?!

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Sun May 26 01:19:51 UTC 2013

On Sat, May 25, 2013 at 09:14:43AM +0000, Peter wrote
> I do not live in .ca but I keep an eye on the media almost daily. My eye(s)
> just about popped out upon reading this:
>
> http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/05/24/canada-post-asks-canadians-to-accept-junk-mail-by-sending-them-junk-mail/
>
> This has got to be a joke. Who pays for this?!

  Actually, it's the other way around, junk mail subsidizes regular
mail.  We'd be paying a lot more to send the Christmas card to Aunt
Ethel, if not for the subsidy from junk mail.

  I know this sounds like nit-picking, but there are 2 separate issues
here...

1) Junk mail delivered via Canada Post

2) Flyers/community-newspapers/etc dropped off by commercial services
paying minimum wage to their employees.

  I live in a condo building, so only postal employees can drop stuff
into my mailbox.  I only get item 1 above, so I don't mind.  What's
really ruined it for Canada Post is all flyer-droppers who by-pass
Canada Post and have stuff stashed into your mailbox, under your door,
etc.