OT: Canadians asked to accept spam?!

Stewart C. Russell scruss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat May 25 18:32:15 UTC 2013

On 13-05-25 12:53 PM, Bob Jonkman wrote:

> The enclosed letter also said that if the response card wasn't
> received, junk mail delivery would resume in a few weeks...

You said it was a postage-paid response card? Well, we could always
tape it to a brick when we return it …
(I've heard this idea variously attributed to Abbie Hoffman and a
Scandinavian citizen group. It may no longer work.)

I like getting mail: packages, personal letters, cards, QSL cards from
the bureau; fun stuff. Everything else, I get electronically,
including all but one of my bills. Unfortunately, the Canada Post
service has been so whittled down to be close to useless when compared
to other countries. I see them having value as a carrier of record,
and maybe for providing a recorded electronic service. But to compete
against commercial carriers, they can't.

“No Flyers/Junk Mail” stickers do (sorta) work. Keeps everyone away
except realtors, politicians and other low-lifes. My neighbour who
delivers the local free-sheet was aghast when I said I didn't want it.
“But it has discounts!” he spluttered, amazed that I wouldn't want
half a kilo of extra recycling every week.

cheers,
 Stewart