(question) Ethernet cable wiring

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat May 25 18:17:20 UTC 2013

On May 21, 2013 8:05 AM, "Lennart Sorensen" <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org>
wrote:

> On Sat, May 18, 2013 at 06:11:01PM -0400, William Park wrote:
> > I had it with wireless speed, so I'm thinking about running wires around
> > outside of my house.  I have question...
> >
> >     - For crossover cable, some say just cross two pairs (Green/Orange),
> >       but others say cross all four pairs (Green/Orange and Blue/Brown).
> >       Which is right?
>
> Don't bother with crossover.
>
> Gigabit doesn't need it, and most switches are auto crossover anyhow
> even for 100Mbit.
>
> Certainly inside the wall pin1 should go to pin1.  Don't hide crossovers
> in the wall.  Just run all the wires stright from one jack to another in
> the wall with the same pins matching at each end and it should all work.
>
> >     - Should I use T568A or T568B?  Some say T568B, but others (citing
> >       US Gov) say T568A.  Well, crossover cable is essentially going
> >       from T568A to T568B, but only for Green/Orange.  As long as the
> >       two ends are the same, should it matter?
> >
> >     - Any recommendation for store that sells decent (in quality/price)
> >       ethernet cable and crimping tools and parts?  Default is Home
> >       Depot.
>
> That's where I got stuff in the past.
>
> --
> Len Sorensen

If you can wait a little bit on delivery, monprice.com is great for network
odds & ends. I wired my house with cat5e keystones all over in important
locations. Got all my crimp/punch tools, keystones, and even a patch-panel
from MP. They also have repeaters and switches but I've never tried their
branded electronics so can't recommend them either ways.
Saves a ton over Home Depot, except bigger stuff where the weight/size can
kill you on shipping (recommend USPS to save brokerage/duties).