(question) Ethernet cable wiring

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue May 21 15:05:08 UTC 2013

On Sat, May 18, 2013 at 06:11:01PM -0400, William Park wrote:
> I had it with wireless speed, so I'm thinking about running wires around
> outside of my house.  I have question...
>
>     - For crossover cable, some say just cross two pairs (Green/Orange),
>       but others say cross all four pairs (Green/Orange and Blue/Brown).
>       Which is right?

Don't bother with crossover.

Gigabit doesn't need it, and most switches are auto crossover anyhow
even for 100Mbit.

Certainly inside the wall pin1 should go to pin1.  Don't hide crossovers
in the wall.  Just run all the wires stright from one jack to another in
the wall with the same pins matching at each end and it should all work.

>     - Should I use T568A or T568B?  Some say T568B, but others (citing
>       US Gov) say T568A.  Well, crossover cable is essentially going
>       from T568A to T568B, but only for Green/Orange.  As long as the
>       two ends are the same, should it matter?
>
>     - Any recommendation for store that sells decent (in quality/price)
>       ethernet cable and crimping tools and parts?  Default is Home
>       Depot.

That's where I got stuff in the past.

--
Len Sorensen