BeagleBone Black - WAS: Time for Pi

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue May 21 17:59:55 UTC 2013

On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 01:25:21PM -0400, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> What's this got to do with Broadcom?
>
> The BBB has a TI SoC and that includes a PowerVR GPU, (SGX530).  Like
> all GPUs for ARM, this one is evil, but not due to Broadcom.

At least a lot of the arm GPUs are getting reverse engineered.
The PowerVR currently does appear to be the least likely to end up with
a working driver, but that could change I suppose.

> I don't expect improvements since
>
> (1) TI is getting out of this business

They certainly are not getting out of the arm soc business.  Which
business do you think they are getting out of?

> (2) the PowerVR "Intellectual Property" is owned by Imagination
>     Technologies.  Even under great pressure, they've not opened
>     the specs.

That is certainly true and highly annoying.

> (3) Apple appears to have licensed the PowerVR stuff in a way that
>     future upgrades will probably be reserved to Apple (no friend
>     of openness)

No idea.  And Apple probably isn't telling.

--
Len Sorensen