BeagleBone Black - WAS: Time for Pi

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue May 21 17:41:18 UTC 2013

On 21 May 2013 13:25, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> | From: Giles Orr <gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>
>
> | P.S. Android support is reportedly unaccelerated and essentially
> | unusable.  Broadcom apparently has a working solution but hasn't
> | released it into the wild.  (I can't find the article that said that
> | at the moment so it should be taken with a grain of salt ... but the
> | Android-on-Beagle pages all talk about their "goals" rather than
> | capabilities.)
>
> What's this got to do with Broadcom?
>
> The BBB has a TI SoC and that includes a PowerVR GPU, (SGX530).  Like
> all GPUs for ARM, this one is evil, but not due to Broadcom.

You're correct: it has nothing at all to do with Broadcom - and it
informs me of why I couldn't find the page I was thinking of.  I was
conflating the Pi and the BBB in my mind.  It's the Pi that has a
sluggish Android implementation with Broadcom problems.  Sorry about
that!!

Here's what I was talking about (and ... we're back to discussing the Pi ...):

http://androidpi.wikia.com/wiki/Android_Pi_Wiki

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/