Challenges compiling GRUB 0.97 / toolchain problems

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Tue May 21 10:57:37 UTC 2013

On 21/05/13 02:23 PM, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> | From: Alex Beamish <talexb-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>
>
> | PS I posted this tool-chain question on Freenode's #gnu channel last night,
> | and I got a vague reply -- I got the suggestion 'Have you tried compiling
> | your programs 'the ubuntu way'?". If anyone can explain or decode that, I'd
> | appreciate hearing from you.
>
> Each decent general-purpose Linux distro ought to be self hosting.
> This turns out to not always be the case.
>
> Ubuntu has a way of:
> - getting source for packages
> - building packages

Unfortunately building from upstream is challenging sometimes because of
the distro-specific patches.

The best way with Ubuntu or debian is to use dget:

dget -u
http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/g/grub/grub_0.97-29ubuntu66.dsc

cd grub-0.97

dpkg-buildpackage

This will patch acinclude.m4 to fix the objcopy absolute message. It is
a problem in the build macro, not grub or binutils.

Before running dpkg-buildpackage you can look at any of the
debian/ubuntu specific patches in the grub-0.97/debian/patches directory.

Note that there is a patch called objcopy-absolute.diff that fixes the
objcopy message.

Cheers, Jamon