Challenges compiling GRUB 0.97 / toolchain problems

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue May 21 14:23:42 UTC 2013

| From: Alex Beamish <talexb-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>

| PS I posted this tool-chain question on Freenode's #gnu channel last night,
| and I got a vague reply -- I got the suggestion 'Have you tried compiling
| your programs 'the ubuntu way'?". If anyone can explain or decode that, I'd
| appreciate hearing from you.

Each decent general-purpose Linux distro ought to be self hosting.
This turns out to not always be the case.

Ubuntu has a way of:
- getting source for packages
- building packages

What they are trying to say is: "use the standard Ubuntu package
source and build it the way Ubuntu builds" rather than going back to
the generic grub 0.97 technique that you appear to be using.

Advantages:
- the process ought to have been debugged by being the well-worn path
- dependencies ought to be automatically taken care of
- you can ask for support from Ubuntu folks when it doesn't work
- all Ubuntu adaption (if any) is included

All this is (my) theory, not based on particular experience.

A careless google suggests that these might be a workable guides:
<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UpdatingADeb>
<http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/rebuilding-ubuntu-debian-linux-binary-package/>