High-res IPS L[EC]D monitors

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue May 14 18:59:01 UTC 2013

On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 12:49:45PM -0400, Jamon Camisso wrote:
> I took note of some of the panels used in a documentary that I recently
> watched called Side by Side, which details the switch from film to
> digital in the cinema world.
>
> I noted quite a few Dell U2xxx series monitors being used for editing
> and post production work.
>
> I have a U2410 at 1920x1200px and cannot say enough good things about
> it. It is brilliant for my digital photography post-processing needs,
> and is great for gaming too.

The U2410 was H-IPS with 8 bit per colour.

The U2412M on the other hand is eIPS, with only 6 bit per colour.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/content/panel_technologies_content.htm
tries to explain the differences between LCD types.

The U2413 nicely has an AH-IPS display with 10 bit per colour (8 bit +
FRC apparently).

> The 27" models do 2560x1440", and 30" models do 2560 x 1600 at 60 Hz
> with fantastic colour accuracy out of the box.

Those are certainly nice.

The U3014 (current model) is AH-IPS and 10 bit per colour.  The older
U3011 is H-IPS and also 10 bit per colour.

The U2713H is the same kind of display as the U3014.

> I calibrated mine and use xcalib when X starts to load the generated ICC
> profile. The difference from the stock factory calibration to my profile
> is pretty much invisible unless I toggle the profile on and off in rapid
> succession.
>
> If you can catch one of these monitors on sale they are worth the extra
> cost compared to a basic screen. I believe quite a few TLUG members have
> one or two each.

In general it is hard to go wrong with the Dell U series monitors
(except apparently the U2412M which just isn't that nice, and is
constantly on sale it seems).

Most things that claim 10 bit are probably best assumed to be 8 bit with
FRC faking the rest.  Not too many actual 10 bit displays out there.

--
Len Sorensen