High-res IPS L[EC]D monitors

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Tue May 14 16:49:45 UTC 2013

On 14/05/13 11:39 AM, James Knott wrote:
> Well, CRTs have been around for about a century.  Back in 1941, when the
> NTSC standard was set, it was considered "Hi Def", as every other system
> had lower resolution.  It took all this time for CRT resolution to
> improve.  On the other hand flat panels do not require improvement in
> technology.  It's possible to make them with much higher resolution.
> The problem is the cost, when most of the market is satisfied with 1080
> lines.  There are higher resolution displays available, but they cost a
> lot more.  How much do you want to spend?

I took note of some of the panels used in a documentary that I recently
watched called Side by Side, which details the switch from film to
digital in the cinema world.

I noted quite a few Dell U2xxx series monitors being used for editing
and post production work.

I have a U2410 at 1920x1200px and cannot say enough good things about
it. It is brilliant for my digital photography post-processing needs,
and is great for gaming too.

The 27" models do 2560x1440", and 30" models do 2560 x 1600 at 60 Hz
with fantastic colour accuracy out of the box.

I calibrated mine and use xcalib when X starts to load the generated ICC
profile. The difference from the stock factory calibration to my profile
is pretty much invisible unless I toggle the profile on and off in rapid
succession.

If you can catch one of these monitors on sale they are worth the extra
cost compared to a basic screen. I believe quite a few TLUG members have
one or two each.

Jamon