High-res IPS L[EC]D monitors

Scott Sullivan scott-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org
Tue May 14 15:17:40 UTC 2013

On 03/31/2013 11:08 AM, Howard Gibson wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Mar 2013 23:40:44 -0700
> Tyler Aviss <tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> I know the general lack of >1080 has come up before so.... thoughts?
>
> Tyler,
>
>     What do you mean by a general lack of 1080?

A general lack of screens with 'greater then' >1080 vertical resolution.
I know this is a common gripe for the TLUG list and technical people in
general. The value here is that we want greater vertical reading
distance while stacking multiple windows side by side.

CRTs near the end of their days we're regularly pushing 1600 vertical
pixels. This kind of screen real-estate has not really been matched by
the panel market with out it being absurdly expensive. The advent of
"HD" for TVs has set a "there is nothing better" expectation in
consumers minds. This has led to the sorry sate where Computer monitor
manufactures no longer push for larger screens.

The list archives are full of interesting discussion on this topic.

What I'd like to see is some data on how long it took CRT pixel
densities to get to those levels. Then compare it to the rate on flat
panels and see if there really is a plateau around the whole "HD" market
push.

--
Scott Sullivan