why is my desktop sluggish?

Bob Jonkman bjonkman-w5ExpX8uLjYAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun May 12 04:48:12 UTC 2013

On 13-05-11 05:38 PM, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:

> I wish FireFox could assign blame for resource use.  Is there some way
> to ask it which site or tab is eating memory or CPU?

Perhaps this may help you: type 'about:memory' in the address bar.  At
the bottom of the list of resources there are buttons to perform garbage
collect, cycle collect, and minimize memory. 'about:cache' may give some
useful info too.

FWIW, I run Firefox with a bunch of addons like NoScript, AdBlockPlus,
Ghostery, RequestPolicy, and others. My experience is similar, in that
Firefox uses half a core (or more) and 1/4 of available memory.  And
then just to be insulting, Thunderbird uses that too.

--Bob.

Bob Jonkman <bjonkman-w5ExpX8uLjYAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>         http://sobac.com/sobac/
SOBAC Microcomputer Services              Phone: +1-519-669-0388
6 James Street, Elmira ON Canada  N3B 1L5  Cell: +1-519-635-9413