why is my desktop sluggish?

Mauro Souza thoriumbr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat May 11 22:24:35 UTC 2013

I use NoScript on Firefox, and since then I noticed a SIZABLE difference on
Firefox performance, and on system performance as well. Added AdBlockPlus
to the mix and let all the problematic ads go away forever. I enable the
ads on some sites I support (hackaday, lifehacker, slashdot, and so), and
have little to no ads on every other site.
I installed psd too (profile-sync-daemon). It copies your Firefox (and
Opera, Chrome, and others) to memory, and opens everything faster. Backs up
everything on disk every x minutes.
And, lastly, I installed e4rat (ext4 reduced access times, or something
like that), and can have a full blown Ubuntu 12.10 booting in less than 45
seconds, from power on to desktop full loaded. On a notebook powered by a
low end i5 with 2gb ram and old hard disk.

Mauro
http://mauro.limeiratem.com - registered Linux User: 294521
Scripture is both history, and a love letter from God.