why is my desktop sluggish?

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sat May 11 21:38:42 UTC 2013

| From: Alejandro Imass <aimass-EzYyMjUkBrFWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org>

| You only see averages there, so 50% of a core is not normal no matter
| how many tabs you have open.

It sure isn't far off normal in my personal experience.  Crazy, I
know.

| It's quite common for a broken Ad in
| Flash to suck-up your resources.

I don't have Flash.

I expect that javascript can do the same damage.

| I have problems with some sites like
| Yahoo and others, in that their ads, when left running a long time,
| will drain your resources. Try figuring out which open tabs in Firefox
| have long-running ads and try closing one by one until you see your
| CPU drop.

That sure is a lot of work and it would be inconvenient because I have
(too many!) tabs open for a reason.

My tabs are my todo list.  Well, at least the part that involves web
sites.

| You can also try disabling the Flash and other plugins and
| see if there is something else sucking up cpu.

I wish FireFox could assign blame for resource use.  Is there some way
to ask it which site or tab is eating memory or CPU?

Thanks.