why is my desktop sluggish?

Alejandro Imass aimass-EzYyMjUkBrFWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Sat May 11 21:25:08 UTC 2013

On Sat, May 11, 2013 at 4:59 PM, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I'm using Gnome on Fedora 18.
>
> I have a lot of windows and tabs.
>
> Firefox is huge, lots of windows, but Resident Size is only 1.5GiB out of
> 6 GiB that the hardware has.  Nothing else is near that.
>
> Firefox is taking 50% of a core, but heck, I've got four cores.  Nothing
> else is near that.

You only see averages there, so 50% of a core is not normal no matter
how many tabs you have open. It's quite common for a broken Ad in
Flash to suck-up your resources. I have problems with some sites like
Yahoo and others, in that their ads, when left running a long time,
will drain your resources. Try figuring out which open tabs in Firefox
have long-running ads and try closing one by one until you see your
CPU drop. You can also try disabling the Flash and other plugins and
see if there is something else sucking up cpu.

Best,

--
Alejandro Imass