press on or go back?

John Martin martjh-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu May 2 23:37:09 UTC 2013

On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 5:14 PM, Lennart Sorensen
> On Thu, May 02, 2013 at 03:04:21PM -0400, John Martin wrote:
>> Any thoughts between Linux Mint Debian Edition and Ubuntu 12.04 LTS?
>
> Well those are two rather different options.  LMDE is a rolling updates
> system that will continually have new stuff come out for it.  Ubuntu LTS
> is a don't change anything except security issues and other major bugs
> for many years.

Thanks Lennart. That rather suggests that Ubuntu 12.04 LTS or Linux
Mint 13 Maya might be good options for the four or so machines I
support at the office. Many years means April 2017 in both cases.

>> 1. Picked up a very nice new Windows 8 machine [. . .]
>
> I am not touching Windows 8 until Microsoft puts back a usable UI.

Almost nothing has changed in the desktop. StartIsBack (and presumably
other contenders) gets you straight there.

>> [. . .] The Linux
>> Mint Debian Edition partition mostly works nicely EXCEPT FOR SOUND.
>
> Interesting.  I find sometimes killing pulseaudio with a vengence solves
> sound problems.  Sometimes pulseaudio solves sound problems.  I hate
> pulseaudio (it highly concerns me that udev is now part of systemd which
> is led in large part by the person responsible for pulseaudio).

Meaning stopping and starting the process? Or expunging the entire
edifice? Should I expect it to solve itself as updates come along? I
get the impression that with Debian things can and do stop working
then start working again.

>> I chose Linux Mint Debian Edition over Ubuntu even though I’ve been a
>> happy Ubuntu user since about 8.04 for a few reasons: DE is supposed
>> to be a bit lighter on the CPU than some other flavours; it’s a
>> rolling release so I hoped to avoid periodic reinstallations; and
>> there’s increasing criticism of arrogance and megalomania at Canonical
>> — the initials, interestingly, are MS. Yesterday evening I had the
>> bright (?) idea of trying a handy Ubuntu 12.04 LTS AMD 64-bit LiveCD.
>> Sound WORKS!
>
> Reinstalling is certainly something I haven't had to do for over a
> decade now.

What I hoped for. Seems I'm not ready though for working through these
initial specific problems.

>> This isn't a request for help with DE sound. [. . .]
>
> Why isn't this the place for that?

Thanks.

> I certainly recommend LMDE to people that don't want to have to deal
> with as much setup and choosing packages as plain Debian requires.
>
> I don't imagine fixing the sound issue should be that hard.

Let's hope. Again, thanks.

John