Ubuntu-13.04 -- disabling ALL compiz desktop effects?

William Park opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Wed May 1 02:38:33 UTC 2013

On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 06:55:12PM -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 09:57:39AM -0400, Antonio Sun wrote
> > On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 3:16 PM, Mauro Souza <thoriumbr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> >
> > > If you feel that Cinnamon still sucks too many cicles, try XFCE.
> > > It's a nice window manager, eats very little, and works. But if
> > > you want to go all the way to frugality, install fluxbox. I used
> > > it for 2-3 years on my Ubuntu 5.04, ages ago... Takes a little to
> > > get used to it, but as soon as you get to know how to make
> > > effective use of it, it's pretty good.
> > >

> > +1 for fluxbox. Good for Desktop, within VM, or even remote X
> > sessions.  Extremely fast and very configurable. And, extremely
> > stable too. I've been using it for nearly 10 years, and seldom need
> > to "revert" to whatever Desktop manager that comes by default.
>
>   Ditto for ICEWM, which I use.  There are several lightweight WMs
>   that are very usable on netbooks.  See
>   https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Window_Manager for a partial
>   list.

This brings up side question.  Long ago, the reason for Ubuntu going
with Unity was to "unify" desktop presentation for desktop, laptop,
tablet, and cell phone.  But, if it's so loaded with special effects,
how is it going to work at the low-end machines?  Do tablets and cell
phones have special hardware accelerated effects?
--
William