Phone scam affects Windows only? Canadian sense of humor...

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Mar 24 16:03:37 UTC 2013

My favorite way of getting them to hang up was to demand that they tell me
what my IP address was, that this was a security protocol required of me.

It stands to reason, if I try to play this "straight", they tell me that
they have been told my computer is infected with viruses and malware, they
need to know this somehow, and prerequisites include knowing my computer's
address and that it's mine.  So telling them that we cannot continue unless
they tell me my IP address is suitably mean.

If there is a specific bill from a particular session of Parliament that
forbids probing peoples' computers, it would be slick to respond with
something like...

Sir, it seems as though your organization has been connecting to my
computer without my knowledge, which clearly contravenes Section 2.718 of
Bill C-3.141, from the 2014 session.  I'm afraid I need to get the IP
address of the computer you used to violate security, to pass on to the
RCMP...